Monday 1 March 2010

This is the life I chose

The fire exit was right there... I could have made a break for it.... 
Clearly, I was looking the other way.  
Okay, first off. Thanks for staying tuned in with me. I definately don't talk to my friends+family as much as I would like to because of how hectic my life is for now, so this blog is for you. I miss you all a lot.

So much has happened already, I wish I started this blog before I actually began medical school, but as many of you know, it all happened very quickly. I am blessed to be able to do this with my life. I worked hard to get here, and I've been priveledged to have had support to goto college and cosign a loan (Thank you parents).

While I was in New Mexico, I was encouraged by the doctors at the ER to apply internationally, you know who you are. (Thanks Dr. P).  I applied essentially a day before the deadline, got in, packed all my stuff, drove X-country from Santa Fe, NM (sorry Dru) back to CA, and flew out to England, all in a matter of 5 weeks. Not to mention, having to apply for the $50,000 loan which now looms over my future like a cloud from hell. And that's only for year one. (gulp) Probably looking at the "kinder" side of $250K in loans after 4 years. I am still appreciative for the opportunity.

As of now I am about 2 1/2 months into school, done with BioEthics, and currently finishing up the last 6 weeks of Biochemistry, Histology, and Anatomy in my 1st term. I've made it through the dreaded Unified Quiz (the initial test), and first round of Midterms (which I passed btw). It's good to know atleast I'm not in over my head here. I've got Finals to worry about in a little while, and then a 10 week break before term 2 starts in August. For now, I pretty much spend all my time at my desk, in the library, in class/review sessions, eating, and if i have time... sleep.

Let me break this down for those who are still confused. It's okay, just reference this if you forget.

I got accepted to St. George's University of Medicine in Grenada in the Caribbean, not Grenada, Spain! I have agreed to a year of selective study in the Global Scholar's Program for my first year, meaning I am studying at Northumbria University in Newcastle Upon Tyne in the UK, not London (there's a diff) and I'll be here until December 2010.
 Next year, ill be in Grenada in the Caribbean for my entire second year, afterwhich i'll be taking USMLE Step1.
My 3rd and 4th years will be spent in the US at teaching hospitals (most likely NY, but i could go anywhere is what some people are saying). Graduation set for December 2013.

Then, of course, there's residencies, which could technically place me anywhere as well.
Who knows where I'll end up. Very possible I could be back in California in 2012!! But, I'd say not to get your hopes up quite yet.

Okay. So, better late than never, this certainly ought to be a long journey. I have several years ahead of me but its going by fast. I'll try my best to catch up on everything thus far (classes, food, social scene, friends, living situation, etc.) Expect a few pictures from Paris, London, Scotland, and Amsterdam (seem's like I've been so many places already), and then I'll periodically add new things (pictures/video) as they happen.

I wish to gain a decent tour of Europe while I am out here, and get a lot of scuba diving done in Grenada.  Ultimate goal in mind?? ...like the receipt for my free personal trainer (maybe the only thing we get free here in the UK) says, "DoctorRyaanIssmail". Keep in touch, all of you! I'm isolated in a classroom and you're my link to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment